What is an app, and how does an application work?
A lot of people use apps without even thinking about it. If you check what 5 x 26 is via the calculator on your iPhone, you’re using an app, and the same thought pattern applies if you order something via the Amazon.com application.
In this article, we will explain what an app is, and what different types of apps there are out there. We will also give you concrete examples of popular applications at the end of the article.
Read more: How much does an app cost?
What is an app?
An app is a software program that you can install and use on, for example, your computer, your mobile phone or your tablet. It is common for an application to have a narrow area of usage, such as giving you the opportunity to order food or to write messages.
There are also different categories of apps, which we will talk more about below.
3 types of applications
- “Native” apps, which are designed for a specific system. Apps that can only be used on, for example, iOS or Android are called Native apps. The pre-installed calculator on an iPhone is a typical native application.
- Hybrid apps, which work on several different platforms. Hybrid applications are generally marginally less optimized for each operating system, compared to native apps.
Tip: We are a group of experienced application developers who will gladly develop apps for you. If you are interested in ordering an application, you are welcome to contact us for a free quote.
3 examples of popular applications
- Microsoft Word, which is a popular word processor. This application works on almost all devices including iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and MacOS.
- Adobe Photoshop, which is a popular image editing program. This app works on all major platforms, including browsers.
- Facebook Messenger, which is a popular communication app. This application also works on all major platforms and is free to download and use.
Answers to frequently asked questions
Who is working on developing apps?
Application developers, UI designers, software engineers, support specialists, social media coordinators and communication staff are typical professionals that develop mobile applications. It is also common for university students to develop apps for their internship companies.
Where can I download apps?
It is most common to download applications on the Microsoft Store (Windows), App Store (iOS) and Google Play Store (Android). In addition to that, you can download applications on the Amazon App Store, Samsung Galaxy Apps, F-droid, 1Mobile Market, SlideME and Mobango.
How do I develop an application?
You can develop an application with basically any programming language. Applications that only work on iOS are usually developed in Object-C or Swift, meanwhile application developers that make apps that only work on Android often use Java or Kotlin as the main programming language.
What is an app container?
An app container (or a unified mobile container) is a piece of code that makes sure that other applications run smoothly even if your app does not work correctly. The app container also makes sure that the app can’t change the security settings and/or interfere with other applications.
Please note that we gladly develop apps for you, no matter the functionality and price point.
What is an enterprise app?
An enterprise app solves specific problems for different organizations, as in for example schools and businesses. The enterprise apps are widely known to be reliable, stable and predictable, mostly thanks to that the apps are designed to work 100 % perfect for one client and their needs.