How to succeed with conversion rate optimization!
When you work with affiliate marketing, you make money by having your visitors click on your affiliate links, and then buy the product you are linking to. When the visitor has done what you wanted all along, you have made a conversion.
As someone working with affiliate marketing, it is important to have a high conversion rate, and it’s also important to optimize your website and product texts to be able to achieve that.
In this article, we´ll teach you what conversion optimization is, and how you can increase your conversion rate, among other things.
What is conversion rate optimization?
Conversion rate optimization is a process where the main goal is to get more of your visitors to do what you want them to do on your website. This can include clicking on an affiliate link, subscribing to a newsletter, or filling out a form. It is always advantageous to have a high conversion rate.
Conversion optimization can also be described as the process by which you learn what your visitors require and expect from you and your web page. When you know what your visitors want, it’s easier to increase the conversion rate, i.e. to optimize the conversion rate.
What is conversion rate?
The conversion rate is the percentage of visitors that do what you want them to do. For example, if 8% of your visitors click on your affiliate links, you have a conversion rate of the same percentage. Knowing your conversion rate is good for conversion optimization.
But note that you should not only focus on the conversion rate when optimizing your conversions. That is because it is most important that you understand what your visitors are looking for, so that you can give them what they want.
How to calculate the conversion rate
How to calculate the conversion rate:
Number of conversions / Number of visitors * 100
Example: A subpage on your website has 150 visitors per day, and 12 of those do what you want them to do. In this case, you have a conversion rate of (12/150 * 100 = 8) 8%.
Sometimes it is possible that your affiliate marketing network can calculate the conversion rate for you, but it’s easiest to figure out that number by yourself.
Conversion rate optimization – best practices
- Use Call-to-Action buttons that stand out. Also place the CTA-buttons “above the fold”. That is, on the part of the website that is visible at the top, so that the visitor does not have to scroll.
- Get a countdown feature. This can show that, for example, it is only possible to redeem the offer within 25 minutes.
- Show what others think of your website. A plugin that shows what already satisfied visitors have to say about your site can increase the conversion rate.
- Use fewer fields on your forms. Visitors may not want to fill in all of the fields, and therefore interrupt their conversion.
- Write better text material that is objective and not too “selling”. It is also a good idea to try the products yourself to write a more compelling text.
- Make sure your webpage loads quickly. A lot of users press the back button if your page does not load fast enough.
Note that we offer conversion rate optimization services. Contact us for a free quote, with concrete suggestions that may well improve your conversion rate.
Answers to frequently asked questions
What does optimize mean?
To optimize something means to improve something. In conversion optimization, optimization means that you identify weaknesses and make sure to eliminate them, in order to get a higher conversion rate. The more weaknesses you identify and eliminate, the better.
What does a conversion mean?
A conversion means that you get your visitors to do what you want them to do. A conversion can include a visitor clicking on one of your affiliate links, or a visitor filling out a contact form in order to subscribe to your newsletter.
How does conversion rate optimization work for ecommerce?
Basic website conversion rate optimization for e-commerce includes splitting up the content (products) in logical structures, in order to make the consumer find what they want in a more effective manner. An improved conversion rate within ecommerce is important in order to make more money.